Saturday, October 15, 2011

England - the driving bit.

With a friend's GPS and the AA road map book of England, we were able to drive ourselves around some very beautiful parts of England without getting too lost.
I was able to see the things I learnt about at school.


Anyone would think we ate our way around England. My waistline is certainly telling me we did!
The black stuff in the above photo, taken at Jamie Oliver's Italian Restaurant in Oxford, is squid ink risotto - delicious my husband said.
We enjoyed the afternoon tea in the top photo in Windsor at the Crooked House.

We were lucky to be able to stay in a 17th century National Trust cottage at Stouton, the home of Stourhead Gardens and House. This is an absolutely stunning garden. At the house, we took a 'cellars to attic' tour for a unique view of backstairs life in a large country house.



Hadrian's Wall has always fascinated me. Although it is a treasured part of Britain's history, they are not precious about it. We were able to touch it, hug it, sit on it and walk all over it. Seeing it was very much on my to-do list.
Something different was the pencil museum at Keswick in the Lake District. Yes I know I find enjoyment in some odd things at time, but it really was interesting to see how pencils are made.


The famous white cliffs of Dover did not disappoint.

We took many more photographs. They will be used to keep our memories alive of a wonderful trip. DH is currently putting together one of those computer generated photo albums. But don't worry, I won't bore you with any more.

We hope to get back one day. Now isn't there a big Lotto draw next Saturday; must get my entry in!!!!!

Take care, everyone,
Kayly

5 comments:

Janice said...

Lovely photos. It must have been wonderful to stay at the National Trust property. We were going to see the pencil museum, but ran out of time. Like you, so much to see next time.

Chookyblue...... said...

i have enjoyed your photos.....not likely I'll be getting there any time soon..........

Maria said...

Great photos! The 'pencils' van' photo stirred some memories of coloured pencils packaged in a tin...they were made in the UK and I remember I convinced my mother that the teacher recommended them! lol
That afternoon tea spread looks pretty good :-)

Grethe said...

Super photos from your trip to UK. Seeing a lovely cup of tea and scones there,and lots of beautiful English country site! Glad you managed the driving around. Now I`m sure you now are well back into quilting again:-)

Anonymous said...

Great photos of what looks to be a great trip. Thanks for sharing :)