Sunday, May 23, 2010

Gardener's Journal Update and Book Review

I've finished the stitching needed for block A. Now to give them a quick wash and to pick the fabric for the borders around two of the stitcheries. I've left cutting these fabrics until the stitching was finished so I could pick just the right ones. Check out the Stitch-a-long blog to see what everyone else has been making.
Above are 2 books I've bought recently. Both books have really clear close-up photos and well written instructions. The crocheting book covers ties and drawstrings, buttonholes, zips and buttons, trims and embellishing as well as 8 projects. It covers the basics also, including clear pictures of how to thread the yarn around fingers. After you make a long base chain, it is often hard to know where to put the hook when doing the next row. The author Betty Barnden explains the resulting edge finish if you use one or two top loops or the back loop. I'm going to use this book to teach my neighbour to crochet.
The other book is really 2 books in one. Author Jenny Rolfe has written 'Handmade Embroidered Bags' and 'Handmade Embroidered Purses'. The publisher has put both books together and called it 'Fabulous Bags to Stitch and Sew'. Bright colourful photos, encouraging instructions and imaginative projects makes this book one I had to have. Jenny talks about free motion quilting in the techniques section and gives little projects to practise.
One thing I am particularly impressed with is in the publisher information blurb - Jenny gives permission to make and sell for charity any of the projects in this book. That is very generous of her.
Details- Finishing Techniques for Crochet, Betty Barnden, 2009, Quarto Publishing,
ISBN 978-1-84448-434-8
and Fabulous Bags to Stitch & Make, Jenny Rolfe, 2009, Search Press,
ISBN 978-1-84448-393-9.

Lastly but certainly not least, the above 2 photos were taken on what I think is called a supper cloth. My mum is having a clean out of her linen closet. My sister and I scored 5 tablecloths. Three of them were hand embroidered. The above one was made by my Grandmother Lucy. It's got beautiful satin stitch all over it. (LOL- that will be understood by anyone who knows my aversion/reluctance concerning satin stitch) The butterflies and flowers are beautifully embroidered. Wish she was still with us to give me help, just like when she tried to teach me knitting when I was about eight or nine.

Take care everyone,
Kayly

1 comment:

Aunty said...

It's great to have a tablecloth that your Grandmother made. It will be a treasure to hand down the generations.