Sunday, April 11, 2010

Hats, Hats Hats and Finishes.


This morning I went to town to the Queensland Art Gallery. They have a new show on - Hats An Anthology by Stephen Jones. It has been brilliantly curated. I recommend it to anyone even remotely interested in fashion. As usual the Gallery is encouraging children to participate with the 'Top Hat' area where they can make their own creations. Guided tours are also available. The best part is it is free.


On a craft note, I have had a few finishes. Just to prove I did finish at least one of the projects from GDITC at Nundle here is my pin cushion sitting on a small table runner made from yo-yos. I used a Clover yo yo maker. I take my hat off to the people who have made these the traditional way.

The next(read above***) photo is of the quilt I did for our new great neice. I used charm packs of 'Birdie'. I love this material. I had 2 charm packs and separated them into blue and pink piles. I made two tops because the sex was going to be a surprise. Both were done with the disappearing nine patch block, but sashed up differently. I was very pleased with the way it turned out, even my attempt at free motion quilting on the border.

***I'm new to this. I have to work out how I get the photos where I thought I put them.
I have to keep reminding myself that it's a steep learning curve, but I can do it.

See you later,
Kayly

7 comments:

Bec said...

Love the quilt for your great neice! Can you show us the blue one???
Well done on your pincushion!
Beautiful work on your tablerunner, I have appreciation for people who use the yoyo makers as well. This sort of project would take me simply ages to do...

By Hoki Quilts said...

Love your pincushion and table runner. As for placing your photos, try writing your posts in 'live writer' what you type and add is what you get. It's very easy to use once you have had a fiddle around with it. Just google live writer and go from there. Good luck
Miche'le

Cardygirl said...

Gorgeous stuff! Glad to see you blogging...welcome!

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Gorgeous fabrics in the quilt....Perfect pin cushion, how much fun were these...and I do like that tablerunner...

Anonymous said...

Welcome to blogland from a non blogger who enjoys looking aroung the quilt blogs and seeing all the wonderful finishes. Your Birdie pink quilt looks just so lovely and I look forward to seeing your blue version. I've just added you to 'my favourites' so I'll drop by again.

Chookyblue...... said...

lots of lovely sewing.....good to see a Nundle project finished.......

Anonymous said...

What a great quilt and good on you for finishing your Nundle Pin Cushion.