Sunday, December 12, 2010

Now why didn't I inherit........

This waist!!!!


I was having a clean up recently and came across this. The petticoat is all that is left of Mum's beautiful lace wedding dress. She was (still is) a dressmaker and did an absolutely brilliant job making not only her dress but all dresses for the bridesmaids and the flower girl.
I could not do the petticoat zipper up when I was twelve! She had a 22 inch waist. I think that's about my thigh's measurement.
I've been keeping it, just in case I can think of something to do with the satin. It had yellowed, but after a soak and wash, it has returned to its original colour.
After a very busy month, I got back into my sewing room last night. Boy, did that feel good. I have also picked up the Gardener's Journal stitching again. I'm on holidays, thinking only of Christmas preparations, my garden and crafting for at least 4 weeks, before mayhem starts again.
For those of you who know my son, he made it to week 7 this time. If anyone knows of an apprenticeship in car mechanics or a tradesman assistant's job going on the northside of Brisbane with an understanding boss, please let me know.
Take care everyone.
Kayly

2 comments:

Chookyblue...... said...

a few of us have been reinspired to get our GJ's finished.........

goodluck with your boy.......

Jo said...

Hi Kayly,
The days of having such a small waistline are long gone for me too.How lovely to have been able to have sewn your own wedding and brides maids dresses,clever mum!
Thanks for stopping by my blog and it sounds like you have had an expensive month too.December is probably not the best time for everything to decide to break down is it.Anyway I hope you have a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful 2011